Monday, July 03, 2006

Who's Bad?

Last Sunday, a small group of us trekked out to New Hampshire for some fun on the beach. Our afternoon was spent splashing around in the ice cold waves, napping and building sand cities.

Sun kissed and satisfied, we cruised back to Boston with disc one of MJ's HIStory playing in the background. We snapped to "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough" and got a bit sentimental with "She's out of My Life"(I get choked up everytime I hear Mike's voice crack at the end). As we sang along to "Bad", it struck me how much things truly do change.

Your Butt is Mine

I remember watching the "Bad" video and thinking Michael was the ultimate thug. I know, I know crazy, right? But to my 8-year-old mind, a black cropped jacket with shiny silver buckles, long silky waves parted to the side, tight black pants and a group of hard male backup dancers, meant danger.

The word is out, you're doin' wrong
Gonna lock you up before too long
Your lyin' eyes gonna take you right
So listen up, don't make a fight
Your talk is cheap
You're not a man
You're throwin' stones to hide your hands

As his limber gang performed choreographed moves reminscent of West Side Story and Fame in a dark dank abandoned subway station, Michael menacingly thrusted his hips and grabbed his crotch. My younger self was scared for whatever acid washed jean wearing crew that dared to step to them.

Fast forward........

You Say You a Gangasta

Put that knife in ya, take a little bit of life from ya
Am I frightenin ya? Shall I continue?
I put the gun to ya, I let it sing you a song......
Y'all garages for bullets
Please don't make me park it in your upper level, valet a couple strays

Nowadays, supposed musically inclined thugs don't dance. Nah son, that's wild 'mo. Instead they have video honeys that handle that department. Oh, cropped jackets, form fitting pants and ballerina leaps? Yeah right! Are you serious? White tee night gowns are the uniform and the only time they're jumping is over cars and fences when the block is hot.

N***** know, the lyrics molestin is takin place
F****** with B.I.G. it ain't safe
I make your skin chafe, rashes on the masses
Bumps and bruises, blunts and Landcruisers
Big Poppa smash fools, bash fools
N***** mad because I know that Cash Rules
Everything Around Me, two glock nines
Any motherf***** whispering about mines

Today's 8-year-old? Maaaaan, they'd scoff at Michael's past claims of being bad, call him a wangsta and tell him to shut the hell up and sit down before 50 makes him cry. Kids are mean.

I'm scared to think who will be considered "hard" and "bad" when I have children.

2 comments:

Marly said...

Aright Kindred, first of all. Bigups to those who can still appreciate the musical genius that WAS Mr. MJ. I was definately in love with Michael back in the day... like he was my man and we lived our relationship through his many amazing videos. As for the future of the terms "bad" and "hard", well you know how I feel... ALIENS! I mean, you know I think "people" like 50 are aliens anyway but he's the "in the closet" type, but in the future, aliens will no longer be ashamed of who they are and then we'll be in trouble! By the way, I really don't think it's fair to be a Jay-Z verse and a Biggie verse next to a picture of 50 "Ungercover alien" Cent.

seedofeve said...

Mj's music and old MJ still hold a place in my heart. Whenever I watch "The Wiz", I find myself missing how he used to be. I'd even take "Remeber the Times" Michael over who he's become. I don't know him now.

Sorry Kindred, I know it's blasphemous to put a Biggie and Jay-Z verse next to a pic of 50. I just wanted to show how violent our music has become.Fortunately, I don't know any of Mr. Cent's verses by heart.