Monday, November 07, 2005

Back in Action

I haven't posted in over a month and I was contemplating just giving up blogging all together. I've been so consumed with all that is life, that blogging didn't interest me anymore. But one of my fans has persuaded me to begin posting again so here I am, back in action.

Not really wanting to put all my business out there but tempted to share I'll let it be known that there's a special someone in my life right now. Everything is new and we're still in developement so there aren't any titles. I don't know where whatever we're doing is headed but what I do know is that what we have feels oh so good.

I've known him for 4 years but never really looked at him in the more than a friendly associate kind of way. We would say hi and have brief conversations but never anything exstensive. This summer he finally revealed to me how he's liked since the first time he saw me 4 years ago and I of course being Queen Oblivious had no idea.

It's funny how someone I used to see around every 6 months now occupies most of my free time. Though I try to keep my heart guarded, I must admit I'm so caught up in this new us. He is definitely woo woo wooing me and I'm enjoying it for as long as it lasts.

My weeknight job is at a youth center with 14 to 19 years olds. I love my job, the kids, and my coworkers but what's bothering me is how the majority of the boys are wearing those STOP SNITCHING shirts. Every single time I see them my insides boil. Those shirts perpetuate the mentality of: if you see or hear something act like you didn't and keep it moving. I do believe in the good old mind your own business but there are certain times when that rule definitely does not apply. What makes me even angrier is that one of the youth workers at my job cosigns with the shirts and feels that the sooner the kids learn to not snitch "they'll live longer". We started to get into a heated debate right in the director's office but I stopped myself. I know my co-worker's attitude comes from him having a troubled childhood marred by many run-ins with the law. He has definitely taken a few steps in a positive direction but unfortunately he hasn't completely disassociated himself from the old lifestyle. I'm holding on to the hope that the teens at the center aren't in too deep for me to reach them.


My mother turns 50 this month. I'm finally getting serious about beginning my autobiography and this Thanksgiving break I'm going to start recording our mother-daughter talks. It's funny how I spent much of my preteen years thinking she was my worst enemy whose sole purpose in life was to make me miserable and keep me away from boys. Now she's who I want to be. The older I get the more I see her as more than a mother but as a fellow woman.

2 comments:

POPS said...

Welcome back. 2 things: 1) ever thought of implementing a 'no stop snitchin' shirt rule for when they are in your building? 2) i'd be happy to swing by one evening wearing my 'stop killing' shirt and maybe even drag conscious with me too.

seedofeve said...

Banning the shirts from the center is a good idea but it's a surface solution to a deeper problem. There has to be a way to get to these kids so that they won't want to wear the shirts period.

I like the 'stop killing' shirt. Where could I get one of those? Better yet would you want to do a workshop one evening @ my job about the 'stop snitching' issue? Let me know.