Tuesday, September 20, 2005

When is Teairra Mari's 15 minutes up?

[Chorus]
I ain't had no daddy around when I was growing up
That's why I'm wild and I don't give a f***
Y'all think cuz these jeans fit, I'll give it up
Don't let my cute face fool yah

[Bridge]
All, all my girls from a broken home
When you're feeling all alone
And you feel you can't go on
Call me
-- No Daddy, Teairra Mari

Wow. I almost have no words. I was catching up on music videos when I saw the Princess of the ROC Teairra Mari's No Daddy. The video isn't much to talk about it. Its theme is a mixture of Gwen Steffani's Hollaback Girl and Britney Spear's Baby One More Time. Teairra Mari struts around an all girl high school in khaki hot pants and a midriff baring top with a handful of fellow no daddy having teenage females prancing behind her.

What kills me is that in the bridge she urges other woman who are going through tough times and feeling lonely to call her.....hmmmm...ummerrah..Now I don't know about you but if I was sitting in my room feeling low and needed some encouragement, the celebrity I would like to have on speed dial is the one and only Queen of the Come Up, Oprah Winfrey. Oprah rose from a childhood marred by repeated sexual abuse and low self esteem to create an inspiring life filled with personal and professional growth, numerous Emmys, movies, and a successful television show that has been around for 20 years. Though she's been interrupting guest on her show more and more lately, Oprah's accomplishments can not be denied. Man, if I was experiencing a bad case of the blues not only would she give me the best advice but Oprah would also tell me to check under my bed and there would probably be keys to a brand new car or some other expensive goodie, that would definitely wipe my tears away.

Perhaps at 17 Teairra Mari has experienced some hard knock times. And getting signed to the ROC under Jay-Z's reign is definitely an undeniable accomplishment but I'm going to have to say no thanks to any advice she would give.

Jay-Z's plans with Def Jam are still questionable to me. Is he attempting to take over the music industry with barely legal female singers? I can't front Rihanna doesn't bother me but Teairra Mari rubs me the wrong way. I know that sex sells and that's unfortunate.

All female artist strive for longevity but don't realize that simply prancing around in skimpy outfits just won't cut it. When will they learn that showing all that you got will only temporarily compensate for a lack of vocal skills and stage presence? Teairra Mari's 15 minutes are ticking away.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Felicite said...

Ditto!

I don't understand any of this pre-teen strutting around half naked thing? Maybe it's because I am going to be 30 and feel like their is enough time to "sell sex" and that 15, 16, 17 year olds should worry about writing notes to little boys and not arousing grown men?

seedofeve said...

Exactly! That's what upsets me: these little girls are being marketed to older men and made to look older than they are.

Genesis said...

no disrespect to the dead...but she comes from the same alma mater as aaliyah. they both went to the detroit hs of performing arts.

while aaliyah was well...she sounded great and studio...while i loved her dance moves... mya was always the better dancer, i liked her music. her and tim had good collabos....

whats up with all these "non singing" ass chicks? they need to go away.

POPS said...

ok her time is up. now post again dammit. you got my checking this day daily with no news to read.

Sherlon Christie said...

lol@pops' comment...ain't that the truth...I can't watch these videos anymore...I feel like I'm committing a crime watching these under 21 females. I blame BET, MTV, all these magazines, too