Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I recently went to the doctor's to start the year off right and make sure everything is in tip top shape. Taking care of yourself is a great feeling. I figure if I make it a habit now to stay on top of all dental, eye, and physical exams that it will possibly spare me a lot of complicatons as I age.

I was a little uncomfortable during my physical because my usual doctor no longer works there so now I have to get used to a completely new one. I liked Dr. Arnold a lot because no matter how backed up with appointments she was you could never tell. She was always sweet and seemed sincerely concerned with everything, not just my health but also my school work and personal life. While she would check my blood pressure and heart rate we'd discuss the books we were reading and current events. We'd even continue chatting like two long time girlfriends while she checked my southern region. This new doctor is aight . There's just something awkard about her. Since she just started I'll chalk up her jitters to being new.

At the end of my appointment I had some blood work done and started chit chatting with the nurse in the lab. She was a middle aged black woman who seemed to be feeling the weight of her long day. I noticed that as when she stuck my arm with the needle that her touch was that gentle. Sitting there my mind began to wonder how she probably was when she first started. Most likely she started out wanting to be a nurse due to the genuine desire to help others and she probably handled her first patient with great care as if they were fragile. I guess after a long day and years of performing the same ol' job that everyone's arm looks the same. After awhile it's all a mindless routine done to pays the bills. Though my arm was sore I felt a little sad for her. Call me a dreamer, optimisitic, or just blame young and dumb but I want the career I end up with to fufill me. I want my work to be satisfying and to be secure enough that if I tire of one job that other options are still available.

2 comments:

Sherlon Christie said...

That reminds me...I need to make a dentist appointment.

seedofeve said...

man get on it. a sparkling grill opens doors. trust.lol