Sunday, July 31, 2005

Mice & Magazines

In my ear: Cab Ride, Tweet -- Hello, Floetry -- Slow Down, Bobby Valentino -- U Send Me Swingin', Mint Condition -- At Your Best, Aaliyah -- There You Go, Johnny Gill -- I Wanna Be Where You Are, Jackson 5 -- Before You Walk Out Of My Life, Monica -- Jealous Girl, New Edition -- Let Me Love You, Mario -- Baby I'm For Real, After 7

I haven't slept in my apartment for about a week and some change. A mouse/mice has decided to move in and become my uninvited roommate/s. Regardless of how big and bad I may act I defininately have a phobia of mice. They are the nastiest intruders that live on this earth. They're dirty and carry all types of viruses. I feel violated knowing that Mickey and a possibly friend or two are getting comfy in my place and touching my stuff.

Since my landlord is taking forever and a day to take care of this mouse situation, I've been staying over at my ex's. Trust me I know. This past week has been extremely awkward to say the least. Though I'm the one who ended the relationship, he still offered his spot as my temporary home. At first I declined but took it back after remembering how close his place is to my apartment. I've barely seen him since I've been here. He's usually in bed when I get in at night and when he goes to work I'm still sleeping. I appreciate his hospitality however I'm being extra careful to keep all our interactions neutral in order to ensure that we don't revert to old habits -- if you know what I mean. Hopefully my landlord gets it together soon and evicts the mice so I'll be able to leave my ex's and return home.

Word on the street is that Free , former host of 106 & Park, is blessing the latest King Magazine cover. Hands down Free is looking damn good [though the pictures are most likely airbrushed]!

I LOVE MAGAZINES. Every month I religiously purchase the latest edition of Essence, XXL, VIBE, and King. Occasionally I'll also pick up Black Enterprise, Savoy, The Ave Magazine, Upscale, Newsweek, O Magazine, and whatever else catches my eye. I love magazines so much that I refuse to commit to subscriptions....instead I'd rather visit my local newsstand, bookstore or supermarket and pay full price. Though this does get expensive it still excites me to no end to visit the magazine aisle, pick up my usual favorites, and flip through any new ones. My girlfriends accuse me of being obsessed but I pay those heffas no heed. Everyone has something that brings them an unlimited amount of joy and in my life a lot of my joy comes from magazines. If I was ever stuck on a deserted island all I would need is a good pillow, few blankets, an unlimited supply of food, some music and pile of books and magazines ........Ummmmmmm and maybe a fine island man to stop by once and awhile to check up on me. ; - )

Speaking of magazines, Essence has found a new editor-in-chief. I wish Angela the best of luck though part of me was wishing that the position would have been offered to/taken by Suzanne Boyd. I was broken hearted when Honey magazine disappeared from the shelves and I was forced to revisit that sadness when Suede was axed. I embraced Suede the moment I saw the first issue on the newsstands. It was Suede's bold layout and unapologetic tribute to the original fashionistas of various shades of brown that initially attracted me. The magazine wasn't afraid take risks. Wherever Suzanne and the other 46 former Suede staffers may be I hope that they are working and happy.

3 comments:

POPS said...

speaking of the Ave, I need son's number again

Felicite said...

I had to check out your page since you co-signed with my Lil Webbie Ignant pleasure. I like it.

Anonymous said...

Its asuch a graet idea from u and wish u well. Let give thanks to God for ur life